A kontusz sash. Silk, silver thread, weaving. Size: 430,0 х 38,0 cm. It got to the fund in 2012 from a private collection.
Silk sashes were a part of male dress in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the 18th century; they were used for girding a kontusz – an upper garment, that’s why they were called “kontusz”. These days silk sashes made with gold are considered to be high quality works of art.
In the corners one can see the image of a lamb with a flag and letters "P.J.", due to that one can understand that the object was made at Paskhalis Yakubovich manufactory in Lipkovo (near Warsaw) in 1791-1794. The founder of the manufactory, merchant Paskhalis Yakubovich, in 1791 having Stanisław August Poniatowski’s royal charter received a nobility title and coat-of-arms – a lamb in the green field on the grass holding a flag with its right leg. After that the owner used the coat-of-arms with the initials “P.J." to mark the Lipkovo sashes until 1794 when the enterprise closed down.
The décor of the upper and lower parts of the sash is based on the double repetition of flower trees growing from wreaths. The centre of the composition is decorated with a big bluish and pink flower with small narrow leaves. The flower and the stem are decorated with small stylised light blue and pink flowers. In the central part there are yellow and pink transverse bands depicting the background flowers. They alternate with an ornamental pattern with light blue and pink flowers and green petals on it. On the borders there are images of tree branches in blossom. The ends of the sash are decorated with fringe. In the sash corners there is an image of a lamb with a flag and letters "P. J. ".
The kontusz sash is a decoration of the regular exposition of Slutsk Sashes collection hall in the National Historical-Cultural Museum and Reserve Niasvizh.